Sunday, November 28, 2010

Flying Monkeys' Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale

(This was originally written on November 25th - last thursday - but I only got around to editing it and posting it today - November 28th. Sorry.)


Okay, first off, let me just preface this review by saying that I have had a pretty shit night. My band practice that I just returned from was a complete failure. We went through three amps at the Rehearsal Factory because the first two failed and then I broke a string which reduced us to using the last thirty minutes to just jam some stoner/doom chords. I've also had shit sleep for the past two nights and so I feel a little out of it. I've also already had a beer at band practice - Creemore Springs Urbock - which I really need to remind myself to not buy anymore. It's not too pleasant, the alcohol content tastes way too strong for some reason and it doesn't feel like it works. Anyways. I'm in a bad mood.


However, there is my shining light, and that is Cascadian Dark Ale. Now, a few months ago my girlfriend and I were talking about how much I love beer. She asked me "If you could make your own kind of beer, what would it be?" This led me to explain a beer that I never thought existed at the time which was a combination of a dark and sweet Porter mixed with a hoppy IPA. I remembered this concoction as it was invented upon answering that question. I'm a big reader of Decibel Magazine, which is an extreme metal magazine, and they have a monthly column on beer. Back in October (November 2010 issue) there was an article on Cascadian Dark Ale (it also goes by a few other names - Indian Brown Ale, Iniquity Black Ale, Pitch Black IPA). It explained that this beer was in fact a Porter and an IPA mixed! HOLY SHIT! My dream come true! Tracking down this beer was really hard though seeing as Decibel is an American magazine and they usually talk about beers that are either American or only available in the States. I discovered that Flying Monkeys, a great brewery in Barrie, did in fact make the stuff but even after getting a good friend who resides in Barrie to go to the actual fucking brewery did not bring successful results! He was told that they were sold out but some had been shipped to a few LCBOs. So since early October I have been checking the LCBO website every few days to see if this beer could be procured from them. Finally it arrived in stock on the site and a few days later it appeared at the Yonge & Dundas LCBO (in the Atrium) so today I went on my lunch break and picked up a 6 pack. Epic. Golden fucking ticket.


Flying Monkeys is a really great brewery. They make a delicious Almost Pale Ale called Hoptical Illusions that comes in really groovy packaging and has some cool text on it too. The taste of the Hoptical Illusion is of a very classy IPA, but instead of it punching you in the face with hops, it's more of a friendly smack. This is the perfect beer to ease people into hoppy beers. This is not a Hoptical Illusion review though. I've also tried their Confederation Ale on tap at Korova Milk bar. It was okay! The packaging for this Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale is pretty cool. Spooky, colourful, glossy, and pretty damn kooky. Really makes you appreciate the artistry that goes into not just the beer itself but the whole enchilada.


This beer pours out very dark, much like a porter, even with the beige foam. As you go in for a gulp though, you are instantly greeted with a whiff of hops. First sip, delicious hoppy darkness. This reminds me quite a bit of the amazing 666 Devil's Pale that Great Lakes puts out. Instead of leaving a sticky bitter aftertaste though, it rounds off nicely like a pleasant porter. They have really found the perfect balance between the intensity of hoppy IPA and the pleasant dark sweet taste of the Porter. This is a truly great beer. The dark porter taste is almost smoky but never overwhelms you too much.


After eating a cracker (unsalted!), which also helps cleanse my palette a bit, I take a gulp. That first sip after the food is outstanding. This is maybe one of the best beers I've had with food. I can't recommend this more. Cleansing the palette with some food and then going back in only brings out more of the pleasant porter taste and intense hops. I am so impressed by this beer. This is kind of what I expected from reading about it, but I am totally happy with that. I was excited to try this and now I pray that it will stay in stock for the next little while. Christmas is coming and I know a few people that would need this as a stocking stuffer!


95 % : Incredible. I knew from researching this beer that it was going to blow my mind and it truly did. Perfect balance of a Porter with it's darkness and slight sweetness and an Indian Pale Ale that is just overflowing with bitter hoppy intensity. Beautiful. Also outstanding with food. Can't recommend this more!

No comments:

Post a Comment