Thursday, December 2, 2010

Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout

Chocolate stouts. Ouch. These are dark demonic beers. I've only tried one or two in the past and may I say that the Chocolate factor is definitely misleading. Don't get me wrong, it's Chocolate, but it's DARK Chocolate, and the darkest at that. A dark flavour made even darker by the chocolate.


Now, according to the Brooklyn Brewery website this beer is best paired with a strong cheese, such as a Stilton. That is a harsh blue cheese, it's super delicious, but if you're not ready it will fuck you up. That just gives me an impression that this beer is going to be as equally unfuckwithable. Not to mention that it is 10% ABV! A few of these will leave you in the dirt. Dirt in your mouth, dirt in your soul, rock and roll. I am stoked!


Okay so this stuff practically oozes out of the bottle. The head looks like brown sugar. Super dark. I just put my nose in to take in a whiff and it smells awesome. Total coffee-chocolate-smoked goodness! Wow, what a great taste. The alcohol content is quite high, giving a slight impression of a liquer but it's not as thick and way more fizzy and easy to drink. The chocolate flavour is present but not prevalent, I feel like I can taste more of the alcohol. I'd say that my tongue can't figure out if it's enjoying it like a good beer or enjoying it like a delicious liquer that I only drink at Christmas in small doses. Also what I am loving is that even though it is a bitter hellacious stout it is actually not THAT bitter. I could see a lot of non-stout drinkers enjoying this slightly. It's not coating my tongue with absolute pitch black darkness either.


I cut a couple slices of some strong cheese to try with this. Now I have no idea what kind of cheese this is but I do know that it smells really strong like a mix of parmesan and blue and that it came from my girlfriend's parent's neighbour/close friend/"aunt" Irene who is Portugese. Ate a slice, took a sip, and you know what - it's pretty good! I'd say that the flavours have not changed - neither the cheese nor the beer tastes any different. However, they just compliment each other, one is more refreshing by the other. If that makes sense? So it's not that it tastes different, you just want it and enjoy it more. I think strong beer plus strong food will always go together well. One will overwhelm, then the other will take over and overwhelm with a new experience. It's a rush to the senses and to the palette. A wild ripping ride.


85%: Delicious! Such a kick of alcohol and flavours of chocolate, coffee, and smoky stout goodness that don't overwhelm as much as slide in. Great with strong cheese, and probably strong food! Great winter ale. Warms you up with its thick dark goo. It might sometimes seem a bit too much like a liqeur because of the chocolaty flavour and high alcohol content but take that at as an interesting angle of the beer and let it warm your belly and tongue on a cold wintry night!

1 comment:

  1. Good on ya mate. Reminds me of last Christmas Eve where I indulged in a Creme Brulée stout... I think that was the first Christmas I slept in.

    ReplyDelete