Thursday, December 2, 2010

Southern Tier IPA


Today was one of those "kill me now" stressful days where you go on your lunch break to buy a 6 pack and justify it with "Oh it's for my blog" and then the cashier IDs you for the first time since you've moved to Toronto and then since he is new because it is a new LCBO store you then have to instruct him on how to do his job because he doesn't understand that scanning the bar code of one beer bottle will give you the price of the entire 6 pack and almost charges $77 for his stupidity. Don't worry, I didn't take my stress out on the poor guy, I helped him out, because in the end he is giving me my beer and in the end he is only doing his job by IDing me. Life goes on.


So, this new LCBO that opened up at the Royal Bank Plaza (200 Bay Street, underground) is medium sized and really bright looking. Unfortunately their selection leaves much to be desired. However, I did come across a couple of 6 pack only beer that I have never tried before. Specifically this beer that I am about to try - Southern Tier IPA. I've had some Southern Tier beers in the past and I remember them being pretty interesting. I think I had a Creme Brulee Stout a year ago that they put out and while it was a bit too sweet and high in alcohol to make me feel safe after already having 5 beers I still will give props where it's due for it being such a fucking weird and well made beer.


According to the Southern Tier website they have a really nice selection of beers. I highly recommend perusing the descriptions of what looks like over 20 beers. All interesting and delicious sounding. There's at least 10 here that I need to track down and also try not to obsess over. (Iniquity Imperial Black Ale! 2xIPA!) So, I think that I am in for a treat with this IPA, even though by the looks of it it may be one of their more tamer beers. The brewery is based in Lakewood, NY, and it may be worth checking out if I do get to go to NY in the near future!


It pours light with a slightly brownish-reddish-yellowish colour. I can smell the hops even as I pour - good sign! Lots of super fluffy head too. First sip, very delicious. Great hoppiness that almost inches towards a sharp bitterness but steps back just before you are overwhelmed. A warm pleasant aftertaste too. The beer seems to have a very pleasant 'lightness' to it, even though it still has a caramelly hoppy taste. 4 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts makes for a vey delicious beer! It reminds me a bit of the Imperial IPA I tried awhile back with it's caramel hoppy flavour that really overwhelmed you except this is a lighter version.


After taking a bite of a grilled cheese and then a sip of the Southern Tier IPA, I am instantly rewarded by it's fluffy content and bite of hops. Works well with food, which is not a surprise.


80 % : Great hoppy and malty IPA! Sort of like a soft-core version of the Imperial IPA that I tried out a few weeks ago and was blown away by. So, this is a great beer, but it will not blow you away. Sweet, hoppy, and kinda fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment